Sports Rehab and Wellness is an official Complete Concussion Management™ clinic and Dr. Joel Dixon is one of the only certified CCMI practitioners in the Kitchener Waterloo region.
What is a Concussion?
It is a disruption of the functional ability of the brain following a significant impact to the head or body. This functional disturbance causes a biochemical imbalance within brain cells and results in a temporary energy deficit and decreased cerebral blood flow.
What to do if you have a Concussion?
If an individual or athlete is suspected of sustaining a concussion, current evidence recommends they be immediately removed from play and assessed by a trained healthcare provider. A concussed individual should then be placed on complete rest in order to recover from the functional energy deficit. Mental and physical activity immediately following concussion should be avoided as studies show it can delay the process of recovery. Current evidence recommends avoidance of mental and physical stimulus in the first couple days following a concussion followed by a gradual return to learn/work and play strategy.
Dr. Joel Dixon and Concussion Management
In addition to being a certified CCMI practitioner, Dr. Joel Dixon has completed additional education to better treat persistent symptoms associated with a concussion (post-concussion syndrome). This includes an intensive vestibular rehabilitation course taught by APTEI.
Dr. Dixon, has spent a lot of time researching visual disturbances following a concussion. Visual dysfunction following a concussion is very common and can result in headaches, pressure in the head and trouble concentrating. At Sports Rehab and Wellness, Dr. Dixon performs an oculomotor (eye) exam on every concussion patient. Based on the results of the exam, each patient is given an individualized oculomotor rehab program. Please note, every patient is encouraged to make an appointment with an optometrist trained in vision therapy for binocular testing.
Concussion Therapy Services Offered at Sports Rehab and Wellness:
- Comprehensive concussion baseline testing
- Post-injury diagnosis and concussion management
- Concussion therapy & rehab exercises for post-concussion syndrome
- Coach & trainer education and certification programs (online)
- Concussion TrackerSmartphone app (available for IPhone and Android)
- Oculomotor examination and rehabilitation exercises
- Return to learn/work and play protocols
- Sub-maximal aerobic exercise rehab and testing
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) measurement
- Following a concussion, there is an uncoupling of the cardiovascular and autonomic nervous system (ANS). HRV is a reflection of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system (ANS). Previous studies have shown that the sympathetic nervous system can be enhance for 10-95 days following a concussion (Abaji et al., 2015). Sports Rehab and Wellness is one of the only clinics to measure this imbalance through HRV.
Concussions have gained a lot of attention recently in the news and media and have become a concern for athletes and individuals a like. At Sports Rehab and Wellness our goal is to provide patients with the highest quality of concussion management and post concussion therapy that is based on current advances in concussion research.
Adapted from Complete Concussion Management